American Muslims in the 2016 Election and Beyond: Full Report
In the midst of a polarized and heated election season in 2016 where Muslims were frequent subjects of national debate, the Institute for Social Policy and Understanding (ISPU) set out to discover what American Muslims wanted for themselves. ISPU researchers set out to answer three key questions:
- Why: What is the case for American Muslim civic and political engagement?
- What: What are the main policy priorities for American Muslim communities?
- How: What do American Muslim communities need to do in the short term and the long term to increase political participation
This report is based on a combination of qualitative and quantitative research techniques. ISPU researchers based their analysis and recommendations on:
- A literature review of “Get Out The Vote” best practices
- In depth interviews with more than 30 civic leaders
- A 2016 ISPU nationally representative poll of American Muslims
- Extensive additional qualitative feedback from our advisers, Muslim community leaders and community members